Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
—Mita Mallick, head of diversity, equity, and inclusion
We value transparency and progress
- 33% of Carta’s employees are women.
- 40% of Carta’s C-Level executives are women.
We focus on getting better every day. Here are a few of the programs we have in place to promote fairness.
- We have a “first and best” offer policy. Negotiation during the offer process prioritizes aggressiveness over other important qualities for the job, and can have unintended consequences in pay inequity.
- We work hard to create transparent growth paths and compensation bands, reviewing our organization annually to ensure parity.
- We require that all executive searches include candidates from diverse backgrounds.
- We provide in-depth DEI workshops and coaching opportunities for all employees at Carta.
- We explicitly require that hiring, compensation, and departure decisions are fair and consistent with our values. For example, all employees receive career support and Next Chapter payment when they leave Carta—whether that departure is initiated by the employee or by Carta—and we never ask them to sign non-disparagement agreements when they leave.
- Our company operating principles and identity traits are a key part of our performance review process so that we can measure the how in addition to the what.
- We provide opportunities for our employees to safely speak up, without fear of retaliation, if they observe or experience any type of conduct that does not reflect our values. We provide a reporting tool to ensure that employees who prefer to remain anonymous have a safe space to call out instances of harassment, discrimination, retaliation or any other type of misconduct.
- In an effort to support working parents in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, Carta covered child care for employees, up to $10,000 for 2020 and 2021.
- Our DEI team is led by Mita Mallick and includes team members Isis Fabian, Jake Lyman, and Leslie Stevens.
We help the industry move forward where we can.
- In 2018, we began working with the #ANGELS to create the first ever study on the gender equity gap. We have published this report every year since through our Table Stakes report, and will continue to do so.
- We invest in emerging venture fund managers through Carta Ventures. We’ve committed to dedicating at least half of the capital from our venture funds to support historically excluded GPs, specifically GPs who are women or people of color.