Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
We strive to build a more fair and inclusive world, and that begins with an internal culture that reflects those values.
We value transparency and progress in our diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts.
- 33% of Carta’s 825 employees are women.
- 40% of Carta’s C-Level executives are women.
- We have no female board members. We have an active search for a female board member.
- In our 2019 year-end employee satisfaction survey, female employees reported higher satisfaction levels than their male counterparts.
We focus on getting better every day. Here are a few of the programs we have in place to promote fairness.
- We have a First and Best offer policy. Negotiation during the offer process rewards the aggressive over the earnest, and can have unintended consequences in pay inequity. Instead, we use Radford data to determine the pay bands for all roles at Carta and give our best offer first.
- We review employee pay and equity annually, and make changes accordingly.
- We have reserved two independent board seats for board members who will bring diversity to Carta’s board of directors. We are engaged in an active search for a female board member.
- We require that all executive searches include candidates from diverse backgrounds.
- We provide unconscious bias and micro-aggression training for every employee at Carta.
- We explicitly require that hiring, compensation, and departure decisions are fair and consistent with our values.
- Our company operating principles and identity traits are a key part of our performance review process so that we can measure the how in addition to the what.
- We provide opportunities for our employees to safely speak up, without fear of retaliation, if they observe or experience any type of conduct that does not reflect our values. We provide a reporting tool to ensure that employees who prefer to remain anonymous have a safe space to call out instances of harassment, discrimination, retaliation or any other type of misconduct.
- In June we opened a role for a Head of DEI. Creating an inclusive environment is all of our responsibilities, and we are excited to bring someone onto board who is solely dedicated to driving these initiatives forward.
We help the industry move forward where we can.
- In 2018 we worked with the #ANGELS to create the first ever study on the gender equity gap. We have published this report every year since through our Table Stakes report, and will continue to do so.
- We invest in venture funds as an LP. We’ve committed to dedicating at least half of the capital from our venture funds to support diverse GPs, specifically GPs who are women or people of color.